Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rockology: The Next Generation

I had fun writing the last one, so, cashing in on the public's love for sequels and remakes, and my own love of unoriginal nonsense about pop music, here are another five songs from the depths of my collection.

1) Evangeline - Bad Religion - I had forgotton how much I love this song. When Bad Religion has both Brett Gurewitz and Greg Graffin they are one of the best bands currently playing. This one's fast, and begs to be played loud. Please indulge it.

2) Scream Out - The Unseen - This is aggressive and menacing without being unlistenable. It won't change your life, but if you find yourself in a circle pit, this is what you want playing.

3) Little Demon - Screamin' Jay Hawkins - This is wonderful. Hawkins sings some nonsensical lyrics but he has such an earnest, powerful voice, it shouldn't matter. If you have only heard "I Put A Spell On You", you are missing out on some great rock and roll. Anyone who is a fan of raw yet ridiculous rock (a la The Cramps) needs to hear this.

4) Bob - Rancid - This is Rancid covering NoFX. I prefer this to the original. Honestly, there isn't much more to say than that. It certainly sounds like Rancid had fun recording it, unlike their Indestructible album.

5) Alright -Osker - A now forgotten nineties punk band. The vocals are flat, but like every Osker song I've ever heard, it works somehow, probably because there's some very competent pop punk/power pop tunes, with just the right amount of grit backing it up.

Not a bad crop of songs there. Someone give me a radio show. Now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Uppish Kitten said...

I <3 Evangeline.

What is your crime Evangeline?

7:46 AM

 
Blogger wcyarbrough said...

I think she killed a guy, or that's what I heard anyway...(I like that song too)

8:19 AM

 
Blogger wcyarbrough said...

That is quite enough Bad Religion jokes from you, young man!

8:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home